GeneDBase is a name for a database application, which is one of the outcomes of a grant project named: "Creating a genetic database of selected species of mammals in the Czech Republic to be used for sustainable transport development".
The project is supported by the Technology Agency of the Czech Republic (within Alfa Programme).
The contractor is a private road design company, HBH Projekt spol. s r. o., together with a project participant, Mendel University in Brno, Department of Forest Protection and Wildlife Management.
The project was carried out in the period January 2012 - December 2015.
The aim of the project is to create and evaluate a genetic database, which will contribute to a more objective and more complex assessment of the barrier effect of the transport infrastructure on wildlife populations, especially on their genetic variability. To reach the aim, the following steps were defined:
- establishing a DNA-bank with genetic samples (especially samples of tissue, hair bulb) of selected mammals
- creation of a database with records of collected samples (not only results of genetic analyses, but also other entries will be stored)
- creation of a database application to view and edit the database using the internet
- Evaluation of a landscape fragmentation impact on genetic variability of popu-lations in selected areas, also concerning an isolation level of populations
- Universal database application which can be continuously edited and developed
- Certified methodology to maintain and develope the database
- Certified methodology for the landscape fragmentation assessment in relation to genetic factors, in order to supplement existing methodologies used to as-sess decreasing landscape fragmentation level